List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Reply
From:       George Mitchell <ghmitch () neteze ! com>
Date:       2001-02-15 16:58:37

Darryl wrote:

> I don't get why when refering to KDE/GNOME most people speak as if you can't
> use any of the KDE/GNOME apps etc unless KDE/GNOME itself is running. I too
> am not impressed with huge ass bars, buttons etc, but i also like to have as
> many things as accessible as possible in the smallest amount of work space.
> A taskbar shrunkern to its smallest is bugger all room for the amount of
> tasks tha can be grouped together, even smaller if you could collectively
> group some running tasks together in to a task itself so clicking on the
> task in the task bar opens a menu to the other tasks you have running that
> belong to that group, maybe the way it works out what to group together
> could come from say the menu group it came from, for eg sake System or
> Interenet. I think all of whats out there is only as good as you yourself
> want to make it.
>
> Darryl

I am a user, not a developer.  I am using 2.1 beta 2.  The panel is small
(tiny) is now default.  The icons zoom as you pass over them.  The panel
autohides to move it out of the workspace.  And you can still slip it to the
side.  As for the taskbar, it is still somewhat flaky, and I have not yet found
an option to autohide it.  It would be nice to be able to slip it to the side
as well or move it back and forth onto the panel with one click.  I ASSUME that
these are issues being worked on.  As for the desktop icons, UNLIKE with
windows, they CAN be removed if one doesn't like them.  I put up with them
because I occasionally find them useful, it would be nice if they too were tiny
and zoomable, but hey, lets leave the developers with something to work on in
the future.  In short, you've come a long way KDE team!  Keep up the good work
and don't pay attention to people who obviously are not even willing to use
available options to customize, but want everybody forced into their vision of
what is 'correct'.

George Mitchell
ghmitch@neteze.com