List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KDE - The joke's gone on for far too long.
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-02-12 10:30:34

On Monday 12 February 2001 02:46, Paul Fredlein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why do you want KDE to look like Microsoft Windows? It was a good joke when
> you started but the joke's gone on for far too long.
>
> Can't you people think of something better? I'm really fed up with "Start"
> buttons, fat cumbersome task bars and cluttered desktops (GNOME's just as
> bad). Have a good look at your desktop - there are better ways of doing
> things than to mimick Microsoft. You should be learning from Microsoft's
> mistakes not following them. (AfterStep and BlackBox are excellent
> examples, BlackBox being preferred.)
>
> Actually I may throw the lot in the trash and buy a Mac with MacOS X as
> Linux has nothing better to offer - even if it's free. At least Apple know
> how to write a GUI. (You get what you pay for.)
>
> KDE has potential, so let's get something positive going on in the Linux
> world and stop being a poor man's Micro$oft Windoze.
>
> Please, think about what I have written before you trash this email...
>
> Regards,
>

> Paul

And just what would you suggest?  For example, how would you remove the
"Start button" without resorting to clicking on a desktop made inaccessible
by application windows or resorting to a floating dock that is every bit as
bad because it partially obscures the application windows?  And exactly how
is MacOS a departure with its Finder?  Personally, I find that KDE2 is unique
and customizable enough to stand on its own, although I do NOT subscribe to
the cheap fiction that "different is necessarily better" (a notion disproved
by the failure in the market place of the non-circular wheel).

I don't think anyone is expecting a dissertation about GUI design from you,
but it would have been nice if you had given even one constructive
suggestion.

Finally, there are a number of different computing environments available to
the discerning user these days. Just as the Mac is not for me, it could very
well be that KDE is not for you.  Fortunately there is indeed choice in the
marketplace.

Cheers,

Dave