List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kde's future
From:       rik () kde ! org
Date:       2001-01-11 1:42:01

#if Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
> What about the GNOME people? Perhaps they have already such a system, or
> are developing one. I think it is something that should be done
> together. No language binding, no lib dependencies so far. Only
> .desktop-files which are already common :-) If the templates root
> directory isn't moved to a general place (~/.templates) it could be
> linked between the two projects file system specific ones.

Ok, here's an example of how I would start building such a menu, which
hopefully shows why it's difficult:

New -> Document -> Plain text
                -> Rich text
                -> HTML
                -> KWord -> Blank
                         -> Letter
                         -> Fax
                         -> Invoice
                         -> Headed memo

       Audio       [Quality]
                -> Studio
                -> CD
                -> Telephone
                -> MIDI

       Image    -> Pixmap
                -> Vector

Is this what you were suggesting ?

My problems:

If you want to create an audio file, you're probably an audio-type
person, meaning that you know how to use proper audio tools, e.g.
Cubase, Logic Audio, etc. Real users mostly create MP3s, not big
multitracked things. If you're a 'real' audio person, you don't
work with single sound files. You work with a 'song', which contains
'tracks'. You mix midi and PCM together. Having the option of creating
either is nonsense.

If you're creating an image, it might involve both vectors and pixmaps.
I know there aren't many tools that work like that for UNIX at the
moment, but I'm sure they will come. Then that submenu is nonsense.

So, does someone have a better example for a tree ?

> Shall I go and contact them on that GNOME-KDE-mailinglist? I haven't had
> any contact by now. Not engaged until now. Maybe you, Rik, are more
> known and respected? Please, don't get me wrong, I don't want to
> delegate you, I am only in strong wish for this feature getting mature!
> :-)

Known, probably. Respected, I doubt it :)

I'm still a little unclear as to what the structure would look like,
so I'd prefer to understand it first before asking the Gnomes.

I'll reply to the rest of the mail when I've read it - might be
next year ;)

Rik