List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kde's future
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2001-01-09 14:56:45

On Tuesday 09 January 2001 07:17, Thomas wrote:
> No, unix is one-tool for a task.

For you, perhaps. I think Unix is anything you want it to be. For me, Unix is
one-tool per module. Modules are logically assembled to accomplish
tasks. Forgive me the gear-head analogy, but I've only got so much room in my
toolbox. For example, instead of 40 metric wrenches for my Porsche, I have 4
wrenches, one ratchet and 36 sockets. You may love your 40 metric wrenches,
and enjoy taking the time to jumble through your toolbox when you want to
find the right size, but I like holding one tool in my hands and changing the
socket to suit the task at hand. I get more work done that way. Most
professional mechanics would agree.

> People actually do that!!

God damn those users! They screw everthing up! All kidding aside, all we're
asking for is the ability to add (Rename, Cut, Copy and Paste) selections to
the context sensitive menu of the file dialog box. New folder is ALREADY an
option; do you support removing this feature too?

The file dialog box is a tool I ignore because it's broken for me without
integrated file management features. I use Konqueror exclusively for this, in
that I keep project folders open and middle-button click to open them in
whatever tool I'm using. I'll keep doing this as long as the file dialog tool
is broken.

Sean.

--
Digital Spinner, Inc.