List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: New QPL online
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1999-03-12 1:32:52

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     On closer inspection I see that section 6c is not incompatible
>     because it is governed by section 6.
>
> I see what you mean, but I do not think it avoids the problem.
> The reason is this:
>
> Under the GPL, you have permission to distribute copies when you want
> to.  You can give copies to John and Elaine, and (at least if those
> copies include the source) you are not ever required give any copies
> to anyone else.  (*They* have the right to redistribute if they wish,
> but that is a separate issue.)
>
> So the restriction imposed by the QPL that you must give a copy' to
> Troll Tech does still impose a further requirement on your GPL-covered
> code.

Ahh...  I get it now.  I never noticed that it made no distinction
between distribution with source and distribution without source.
I had somehow interpreted that section to govern when the item is
distributed without source.

To Troll : Can this be fixed ?  ( Come on 1.0 is just another version
number ... Just ask the G???? teem :).

My mod :
 c. If the items are not available to the general public, and any
    of the recipients dose not also poses the complete source code,
    and the initial developer of the Software requests a copy of the
    items, then you must supply one.

This way you have to violate the GPL to be governed by 6c.  Thus
6c will only apply if you are modifying BSD licensed software.

Not that I think it's fare.  After all most of the sales Troll
Tech makes are probably from programers working within companies
that do not distribute software.

To RMS. : What about 6a ?  I think it means the same as the relevant
section of the GPL.  I.e. Copying to a CD and putting that CD in
another machine counts as Data transfer.  A Network, ( including the
Internet ) is "a medium customarily used for software interchange".