List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [rms@gnu.org: Re: can normal programs be LGPL'ed?]
From:       Arnt Gulbrandsen <agulbra () troll ! no>
Date:       1998-12-08 14:44:16

Kevin Forge <forgeltd@usa.net>
> Metro-X is a member of the X Consortium.  They are part owners of X.
> As such they are free to license it any way they want with the blessing
> of the other members.

I think Metrolink was a member, yes, but the XC is long gone.

The reason Metrolink can do what it does is quite common, and neatly
described in the copyright for O'Reilly's X books.  Quoting the
relevant paragraph from volume 0:

	Note, however, that those portions of this document that are
	based on the original X11 documentation and other source
	material have been significantly revised, and that all such
	revisions are copyright ® 1995 O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
	Inasmuch as the proprietary revisions cannot be separated from
	the freely copyiable X Consortium Inc., source material, the
	net result is that copying of this document is not allowed.

Metrolink has done the same thing to X source code.

--Arnt