List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Proposed QPL mods - 3rd try
From:       "Adam J. Richter" <adam () yggdrasil ! com>
Date:       1998-12-02 16:38:06

Warwick Allison writes:
>I also didn't list "flipping burgers" or "making faces in the streets",
>Professional distribution companies could easily out-compete any
>developer trying to do "the service of copying and mailing GNU for a
>fee."  (as you'll agree companies like Caldera, RedHat, and SuSE are
>doing very well indeed).  It costs $60 to get *just* GNU from the FSF,
>more for organizations.  Developers cannot compete at mail-order.

The companies that you list are founded by developers and employing
developers.  They are one way that free software developers can and
do make money.

>Yes, I'm glad that you remember that we can each be both free
>software developers *AND* proprietary software developers.

To clarify: We were not arguing about that.  I never disputed that.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."