List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: kdepim/konsolekalendar [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]
From:       Ante Wessels <vitanova2 () softhome ! net>
Date:       2004-03-27 10:57:57

On Viernes 26 Marzo 2004 17:27, Ante Wessels wrote:
> On Miércoles 24 Marzo 2004 00:16, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 March 2004 08:15, Bo Thorsen wrote:

> > Please explain why you think that LGPL allows linking to proprietary
> > libraries.
>
> Probably it is the author that implements the linking. The author is always
> free to do what he wants. He is the almighty copyright holder.

I can add to my own words: it already happens.

Say KMyApp is under the gpl; many kde libs are under the lgpl, the qt lib is
under the gpl. We have: gpl -> lgpl -> gpl

Now we write a proprietary KApp. We can only use the proprietary qt:
proprietary -> lgpl -> proprietary

The construction got approved by the pope, so it must be good.

> >As I mentioned in my other message GNU specifically
> > recommends to use GPL + exception if one wants to link to a
> > QPL-licensed library. If LGPL would be an alternative then they would
> > have mentioned it.
>
> No, they don't like the lgpl themselves that much.
>
> > Regards,
> > Ingo
>
> Cordialemente,
>
> Ante
>

> ******
> The most up to date info for kde artists can be found at the wiki:
> http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists
> old:
> http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists
>
> Scripts for kde artists, like svg2png4kde, add border, add drop shadow,
> change filename, file conversion:
> http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux/index.html
>
> Web course italian, poem generator, poetry, stories and visual art:
> http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita

Cordialemente,

Ante

******