List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: KImageShop development
From:       Jeremy Blosser <jblosser () firinn ! org>
Date:       2000-08-23 21:06:42

Shawn Gordon [shawn@thekompany.com] wrote:
> Krayon is awesome, but I think it is going to cause way too many legal
> problems, although my research shows that the name is not trademarked, but
> it is very similar to an established brand.

Are you refering to Crayola?  As far as I can tell, 'crayon' is a term
that's been around for a long, long time.  Webster's at least traces its
etymology back to the Latin 'creta', circa 1644:

Main Entry: 1cray·on
Pronunciation: 'krA-"än, -&n also 'kran
Function: noun
Etymology: French, crayon, pencil, from diminutive of craie chalk, from
Latin creta
Date: 1644
1 : a stick of white or colored chalk or of colored wax used for writing or
drawing
2 : a crayon drawing

<URL:http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary>

Crayola claiming to have an exclusive right to 'crayon' based names would
seem akin to Burger King claiming an exclusive right to 'burger' based
names.  Not that it couldn't happen in this day and age, but it seems a
stretch.

Of course, if you're talking about a trademark other than Crayola that is
more directly 'crayon', I may be talking nonsense.  But I'm not sure what
else it would be -- a quick search online for 'crayon' only turns up
generic uses and a few specialized things like crayon.net, which is a
customised news service and has nothing to do with image manipulation.
Which is another point -- crayon.net and crayon.com are both registered to
very non-Crayola entities, apparently without incident.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser@firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/