List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Welcome to Summer of Code 2012
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2012-04-24 6:47:35

Hi Joe, Shivaraman, Shrikrishna, Francisco, Dmitry, Pentalis, Kai-Uwe,

This is your friendly project maintainer speaking...

It's great to have you on board for the Summer of Code 2012 for Krita. This mail has \
some more information about the Krita project and the way we would to work with \
students during the Summer of Code. Krita has been in every summer of code since the \
start so we have quite a bit of experience in how to make gsoc fun and useful!

This year, we have three students from the KDE organization and one from OpenICC. KDE \
has never had so many students as this year and don't be mistaken: this puts a heavy \
burden on us all since failure is _not an option_. If too many KDE students fail, \
Google will be pissed off. So let's make sure all is setup to have a resounding \
success!

* Time Zones

We're rather spread out this year, with Joe in California, Pentalis in Chile, \
Francisco 	in Brazil, Shivaraman and Shririshna in India, Dmitry in Russia and \
Kai-Uwe and me in between, in Western Europe. Please keep this into account. I will \
be around on irc mostly from 9:00 to 24:00 CET, with breaks for dinner and so on.

* Blogging

Please blog at least once a week, Friday afternoon the latest. I see that Joe already \
has a blog. Please get your blogs aggregated at both planetkde.org and \
http://www.graphicsplanet.org/. If English is not your native tongue and you feel \
uncertain, I can check the first couple of blog posts for you. I've done that for \
most of the Krita GSOC students.

* Communication

Join the #krita channel on freenode. This is the best place to ask questions and have \
development discussions, since it's where the experienced Krita developers hang out.

join the calligra mailing list so you are informed about things like release \
schedules:  https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/calligra-devel. Set up the commit \
filter (http://commitfilter.kde.org/) so you see all other commits to Calligra -- \
that way you are in touch with what the other developers and students are doing.

Please introduce yourself and your project on the krita mailing list this week as \
well.

Do use these two channels for development discussions; this is better than private \
queries or email conversations with just your mentor because you will get input from \
other Krita developers.

In order to efficiently introduce everyone to the Krita architecture architecture, I \
want to organize a skype group chat, maybe one for India and one for the America's. I \
would like to do this as soon as possible, i.e., this week.

* Hacking

Krita uses git (http://projects.kde.org/calligra). If you don't have it already, get \
your KDE committer status this week. See \
http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_a_Contributor_Account.

For every Summer of Code project there should be a branch, labeled \
krita-TOPIC-COMMITER_NAME. Push early, push often. If I don't see a commit for a day, \
I get worried!

Also, don't get stuck on something. If you're stuck, go to #krita or the mailing list \
and ask for help.

Use the coding standards: http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Kdelibs_Coding_Style. This \
is not optional!

* Individual notes:

Shrikrishna, Dmitry will have to do his military service half-way through the summer. \
Please make sure that you have completely sucked him dry from all knowledge of the \
canvas update mechanism as soon as possible since Dmitry is the only real authority \
on that topic! I will take over mentoring you in the second half.

Shivaraman, also contact the blender development community so you have a fallback to \
ask about the blender file format and ways to display meshes in 3D. Note that I am a \
linguist, so most maths are way beyond me.

--
Boudewijn Rempt