List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Release Readiness
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2012-01-11 10:24:51

Hi! Today we're releasing the _sixth_ beta... I forgot to push Giovanny's splash \
screen after committing it locally... But Boemann wants to have Yet Another Beta \
before Calligra can be released.

For Krita, though, I think we've seen a big improvement over the Christmas holidays. \
We got rid of lcms1, even on Windows. Lukas fixed the scaling bug. Dmitry improved \
stability enormously. We are down to one critical bug, which I'm working on.

However....

=== Unittests ===

We had zero failures, then in November went back up to five. We still have five \
failures, with the Processing test being fixed and a new failure in the \
KisSelectionManagerTest. The rest have been broken since November.

The following tests FAILED:
         26 - krita-image-KisCloneLayerTest (Failed)
         44 - krita-image-KisImageSignalRouterTest (Failed)
         49 - krita-image-KisWalkersTest (Failed)
         89 - krita-image-KisActionRecorderTest (Failed)
        119 - krita-ui-KisSelectionManagerTest (Failed)

=== Bugs ===

We have a total of 132 bugs now. Additionally, there are some calligra-wide bugs that \
are important for us as well, for instance Bug 284196 - calligra applications gets \
readonly if "parent"-calligra window is closed.

One critical bug:

217292 	cri 	boud@valdyas.org 	ASSI 		Ability to paint transparency masks

Sven changed the severity of the bugs that need to be fixed to release to "major". We \
still need to go through that list, though.

Out of the 132 bugs, we have 10 major bugs and 18 crashes.

It's a lot of bugs, but I actually think that on Linux, Krita can be said to be \
pretty stable right now.

=== Unfinished work ===

Dmitry still needs to finish the second part of his work on bug 290708 "crash on \
moving a layer". However, Dmitry is not available for hacking this month because of \
exams.

I need to finish the grayscale mask work (bug 217292).

=== Disabling functionality for the release ===

Done:

* GHNS upload is disabled for whoever has too old a libattica (< 3.0)
* painterly mixer is disabled (will I ever find time to fix that plugin?)

Open issues:

* Should we go through the filter bugs and disable filters with bugs?
* OpenGTL/OpenShiva: we have quite a few bug reports here. Is the current limited \
functionality worth exposing more and more people to crashes? Should we disable this \
for now? I haven't been able to get this functionality to work on OpenSUSE 12.1 \
                because that comes with llvm 3.0.
* the filter op is subject of one major bug right now. Is it realistic to fix this \
bug, or should the op be disabled from the release?

=== Release data ===

Boemann is pushing to extend the release date more and more. I think that we can be \
ready for 2.4.0 by the end of the month -- if we fix the last critical bug, the \
unittests and disable broken functionality.

--
Boudewijn Rempt