List:       kde-kdoc
Subject:    Parser
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! EDU ! AU>
Date:       2000-08-17 3:04:31

Hi,

After a very stressful few months at work our pilot project went off ok
and I was able to finally go through the hundreds of kdoc bug reports,
most of them related to parsing and namespaces in particular.

I have to say I hate kdoc's parser, even in its current third generation,
and am looking to replace it with perl's recursive descent parser module
and be done with these annoying problems once and for all.
My questions:

-> has anyone experience with this? How hard would it be to write a
partial C++ parser using its yacc-like grammar rules?
(ie enough to parse decls and skip over code blocks)

-> Since this module does not ship with perl by default (maybe it does
with a newer perl but I haven't checked), what is the chance that users
would be willing to install it just to run kdoc? The option is to provide
the module with kdoc itself and install it if it does not exist on the
system, but I'd like to avoid that.

Also, since KDE is now mostly hosted by sourceforge I hope to move as much
as possible over there (eg the kdoc homepage and snapshots etc that are
currently still on servers at my old university). This should allow more
access to anyone who wants to help keep things up to date and remove me as
a bottleneck for updates and patches.

-Taj.

PS. I'd like to thank all you guys for answering questions etc on this
list while I was away, and thanks a ton to Wolfgang especially.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
Univ of Melbourne	The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"