List:       kde-kant
Subject:    [Kde-kant] Re: [Kwrite-devel] Kant - QRichText can't be used - too slow for
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-03-10 21:50:40

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Cullmann Christoph wrote:

> Hi all,
> QRichtText is very fast in singleview mode, but in multi-view mode of one doc
> the syncing is just impossible without to be DAMN slow !!!!
> On my PII 400, 128 MB RAM (k, old but should be enough to edit text ;) 2
> views are simply impossible slow with big files (10k file !!!!!!!!!).

What are you doing in order to update the views? I can imagine that you
can get a performance problem when you are doing something that causes
the whole document to be reformatted.

I made some experiments with the QText stuff a week ago or so and couldn't
really make much sense from the document/view separation. For example,
the undo/redo mechanism is in the QTextEdit class, which makes no sense.
You can't have two different undo histories in different views.
I find that quite unfortunate because in principle the rich text abilities
are something really interesting. For example, for editing html text one
could mark up headings with a bigger font without developing with a
completely different codebase which is used for editing program code etc.

Bernd.