List:       kde-kant
Subject:    Re: Experienced software engineer interested in kate development needs help
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2002-01-15 18:27:50

Hi Jeff,

> I ran "./configure --enable-debug" which compiled the kate
> binary which is only 5k.  I ran "gdb kate", but the debug functions do not
> work.  I didn't think it would be that simple.

"gdb kate" should work after you "make install", as long as it's installed
into a directory in the $PATH.  The 5k kate file you saw isn't an executable.
You can 'cat kate' and see that it's a script.  If you're in the
"kdebase/kate" directory, try "gdb app/.libs/kate" -- that's the actual
executable.

> If there are any other tools you think I should learn first I am open to
> suggestions.

gdb is a nice program, but a far cry from the ease of use of the MS debugger
you're probably used to.  You might also want to check out kdbg (i forget
what module it's in) for a graphical UI -- limited though it is.

How are you getting your sources?  If you're not using cvs yet, I highly
recommend it.  You'll then want to make sure that you're compiling into a
different directory tree than your source is in.  If you'd like instructions
on that, I'll email them to you directly, assuming that your spam-look-alike
email address is real. *grin*

Take care,
Ellis