List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: FW: [Future] i18n errors
From:       Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes <ai98ghk () stud ! hib ! no>
Date:       1999-12-15 12:56:48

David Faure wrote:

> And another language mispelling (no_NY), together with
> a reference on how to name languages :-)

Correct, "no_NY" doesn't follow any standards as such. We couldn't find
any ;-)

However, the first error was made when the first "Norwegian" translation
was done. It was given the "no" locale, which is wrong because Norwegian
(bokmal) isn't any more "Norwegian" than Norwegian (nynorsk). These are
both Norwegian languages, and _one_ Norwegian language doesn't exist.
The initial Norwegian version is now renamed Norwegian (bokmal), but the
locale remains "no". Is this because it's too difficult to change?

"no@nynorsk" is a variant I've seen as said under. However, I'm strongly
against using this, since it implies that nynorsk is a variant of bokmal
("no"). If "no@nynorsk" is to be used, the existing "no" should be
"no@bokmal". No language should then have the locale "no".

Another variant (not mentioned below, but I've seen it used) is
no_NO_NY. This keeps the ll_CC syntax, but adds a last code to identify
the variant. In this case, the Norwegian locales should be no_NO_NY and
no_NO_BM (or similar).

Regards,
 Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes
 Coordinator of the Norwegian (nynorsk) translation