List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: docs
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () itm ! mu-luebeck ! de>
Date:       1999-06-03 8:42:26

Thomas Diehl wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jun 1999 16:46:00 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> >> http://xtalk.price.ru/SGML/TEItools/index-en.html
> >>
> >> I can contact with him also, but I think, to get the right answer you have
> >> to ask the right question, so, it is better if you will contact with him
> >> personally.
>
> >Hmm, this page is _very_ slow.
>
> Probably just a temporary hitch. While the page isn't too fast here, it
> isn't too slow either. And more important: I think Dima is right about
> this guy. Just try again.
>
> >There aren't so many questions, just
> >if it's possible to create a nicer mapping for docbook to HTML.
>
> Would you prefer that _I_ ask him for you? ;)
>
> >DocBook
> >looks nice and is the defacto standard for documentation. We have tools
> >to convert our existing SGML sources to DocBook - what's left is a
> >mapping for HTMl, so that it doesn't look so damn boring.
>
> Well it just looks like non-fiction stuff traditionally was supposed to
> look -- very anxious not to "distract from the contents". And while I
> wouldn't object against bringing in a _few_ more pleasing details into
> the layout I would maintain that the overall impression is more
> professional than what we have now. And I don't even think this is only
> due to the fact that the GNOME guide is apparently much better
> illustrated, more to the point and less prone to flat jokes than a lot
> of what I'm seeing in existing KDE documentation. I also can't wait to
> get rid of our present navigation bars without spaces between the their
> elements. ;)

Well, the TIE tools look _very_ unfinished. Jade looks very good and
it's
even maintained. sgmltools 2 uses jade too. So all we have to do is to
customize the docbook DSL and I think, this will work. The documentation
only lists some variables you can use for custumization, but I think,
that
some scheme guru can do everything with it :)

Greetings, Stephan (remembering this nights when you wake up and only
shout
     "give me my lambda" ;)

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.