List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Awkward style of plural forms in kdelibs4.po
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-04 9:06:20

So this is using the lupdate/lrelease system instead of the usual .po files?
I was not aware of that.

I checked the Qt documentation, and the problem is that plural form
translation is different there.

With tr(), you just put a "generic" string for the embedded text, and
rely on the translations to handle plural case, in English as well as
with other languages.

So the "Password" message seem to be OK, but translation will have to
be provided for English as well, unless the awkward generic form is
acceptable.

On the other hand, I don't think the "day(s) and hour(s)" message can
work at all. If it did, e.g. Polish translators would have to provide
25 different messages for the plural form handling.

Can someone verify what happens with that message?

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams