List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [Idea] Translation manager
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-09-08 7:44:01

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 09:35, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 September 2004 09:15, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> >>I think it is rather going *away* from using KDE_LANG=C. As far as I
> >>understand KDE_LANG=C means that *.mo files are not used and messages
> >>from source code are used intact.
> >
> > But we currently do not have "C" anymore as available locale. So you
> > cannot do a en_US translation... So first you must get "C" back in KDE,
> > then only you could make an en_US translations.
>
> Yes, there is no "C" language available in Control Center. But as far as
> I can see (KDE 3.2.1) I can choose "US English" from the list. I suppose
> this means setting KDE_LANG to en_US?

Yes, but starting an en_US translation would mean that as soon as this
translation is installed, you could not anymore look at the untranslated
strings. A user will not care but a developer does.

(Assuming that en_US would really allow a translation, because I do not know
all subtilities of the KDE code.)

Have a nice day!