List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: New KDE mo files?
From:       heiko.evermann () gmx ! de
Date:       2004-09-04 18:37:51

Hi Anousak,

> Thanks a lot, Heiko, for your clear explanation. The Lao mo files has been
> compiled against BRANCH KDE version 3.1,
Does that mean that you checked out KDE_3_1_BRANCH? Which version of KDE are
you using? And one other question: are you just trying to use KDE in Lao
language, or are you one of those involved in translating KDE into Lao?

> it was partially translated and
> fully function with Kmail, Konqueror, Kate, Kwrite, and some others as I
> have tested.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> After installed mo files (translated Lao KDE message files) under
> /usr/share/locale/lo then I configured Lao support under Control
> Center-Regional and Accessibility-Country/Region and Language-Laos. I then
> selected Appearance and Themes-Fonts, under Menus I select Lao OT font.
> Applied both changes. Opened Kwrite, but Lao GUI/Interface wasn't take into
> affect. I also tried with conqueror.
1) It worked fine for me even without specifying a font. But I was using KDE
3.3. Lao seems to be using very special characters and I am not sure whether
older versions of KDE can handle that well.

2) When you install the mo-files using "sudo make install" (please do not
install them by hand, use make install) they should be copied into
KDEDIR/share/local/lo/LC_MESSAGES, and not into
KDEDIR/share/local/lo/LC_MESSAGES.

3) Just in case you have several installations of KDE in parallel:
"which konqueror" tells you where KDE will find the konqueror program. e.g.
/opt/kde3.3/bin/konqueror. Here the KDE directory should correspond to the
KDEDIR used for installing the Lao mo-files.

4) You can specify the language for a program even without changing it in
kcontrol. Just say
"KDE_LANG=lo konqueror".

5) changing the language does not affect a program that is already running.

6) changing the language works only for programs where the mo-file exists.
The Lao language module currently has 136 (at least partially) translated
programs. konqueror is in, but kwrite is not. So running kwrite in Lao will
certainly not display any Lao. Konqueror should be working.

Quite a number of things to check, but I hope that this will bring you a step
forward.

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann
(KDE Low Saxon translation team)