List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    RE:Translations to Kannada (KN) ?
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-31 10:35:04

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:49:55 +0100 (BST), Pramod R wrote:

>I do not see kannada on the list of languages on the
>kde-18n website.

The name gets there as soon as somebody tells me that (s)he is willing
to be the coordinator for a language and starts to work on it on a
regular basis. This was not the case for Kannada so far.

>I had translated a few POT files(kdelibs & kdesktop)
>to kannada in yudit, just
>to test kannada support. I stopped it once i
>understood
>the problems regarding indic support. I don't think,
>kannada
>and telugu support is that good both in qt & gtk.
>Correct me if I am wrong, but there is not even a
>pango
>module for rendering kannada & telugu. And we do need
>free opentype font for kannada as well.If we have
>these
>resources,I can help you get the translation going.
>I think, we should start building a english-kannada
>glossary of tech terms, which we can use it in the
>translation later (similar to what the gnome-hindi
>team
>is doing).

As repeatedly stated already: We are promised some basic support for
Indic languages in Qt 3.1. According to the Troll Tech pages, the beta
for this is supposed to start within the next few weeks. Would be great
if you could have a look regarding Indic languages then.

>BTW, I am a volunteer with Mahiti(mahiti.org & also
>take a
>look here -
>http://lists.mahiti.org/mailman/listinfo/mapplet ),
>a non-profit organisation & they  also require the
>same
>resources(opentype fonts, indic support for gtk or qt)
>for some multi-lingual application in all indic
>languages
>(not the one in the above link) they are going to
>develop.
>You can mail me here
>(rpramod@postmaster.co.uk) for more details.
>-Pramod