List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Unicode and 8-bit characters
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       1998-08-10 21:15:46

Stephan wrote:

The problem with the korean language is, that it needs unicode
support I guess, which is not available. But if you have an encoding (as
Chinese
has) which allows you to use 8bit characters,

I don't know wether it helps or not, but Unicode has a standard transformation
format to 8 bits characters called UTF-8. It means that any unicode character
(for example, that <censored> @#!?%! </censored> french character OE) can be
coded on one or more 8-bit characters.

I've got the complete Unicode standard at home (thus including the corean
charset), and I can communicate the UTF transformation format to anyone
interested.

I don't know at all how this tip can be applied to the KDE project, so please
excuse me if this message is completely useless.

Eric
--
Eric Bischoff
mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr