List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] hello, world
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-04 19:37:42

Just some thoughts on this list:

Seems no-one can be bothered anymore to think about rewriting Qt,
seeing as there's not much point anymore.

Has anyone considered doing something along a related line instead ?
Perhaps using a Qt-style model for a set of STL-like classes ?

Recently I've seen a few efforts get started where people are
trying to create a C++ library that either augments or replaces
the STL.

I have to say I don't like the approaches of either project, mostly
because I love the design of Qt's API.

One thing Qt is currently missing is thread safety, so perhaps
Harmony could be restarted as a project to rewrite things like
QString et al in a thread-safe fashion, and/or to implement
garbage collection or some other nice feature(s) ? Of course,
doing this would mean giving the code to Troll Tech to include
in Qt.

Not that I have the time to do any of this, just thinking about
what might be interesting and useful if anyone's looking for
some work to do and feels like doing something for the good
of the planet ;)

Qt is now mature, stable, featureful and efficient. It's only
missing a few nice things which I guess Troll Tech aren't doing
because they simply don't have the time to invest, with paying
users requesting things like QWorkSpace (MDI), which then takes
precedence over e.g. MT safety.

Rik