List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: New framework: KCalCore
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-04-14 11:31:41

On dimanche 7 avril 2019 14:45:09 CEST Volker Krause wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose KCalCore for review to move from KDE PIM to KF5.
>
> KCalCore is an implementation of the iCalendar standard based on libical,

I wonder about the name, which doesn't mean much outside the circle of PIM people. \
Shouldn't this be called KCalendar ?

If the "Core" simply means non-GUI, we certainly don't have that word in every \
non-GUI framework.

> covering the data model, input/output and the rather complex recurrence
> algorithms defined in that standard. It's used outside of KDE PIM as well,
> e.g. by Zanshin or the Plasma Mobile calendar app.

This makes me wonder: where does that mobile calendar app get the events from?
Akonadi? (then it still depends on kde/pim/*, and this move in itself doesn't really \
remove the unwanted workspace->apps dependency?)

Zanshin does use akonadi (though one could imagine a mobile version that only uses \
KDav and KCalCore^H^H^H KCalendar).

Some review:

icalformat_p.h:    //TODO: KDE5, move this implementation to icalformat_p.cpp
incidencebase.h: * // TODO_KDE5: Provide a virtual serialize() method, as done with \
                assign() and equals().
incidencebase.h: * // TODO_KDE5: Provide a virtual serialize() method, as done with \
                assign() and equals().
person.h:    // TODO_KDE5: FIXME: This operator does slicing,if the object is in fact \
one of the derived classes (Attendee)

This would be the perfect time to make these changes, if they are valid.

Allen, the first TODO above is from you (commit efe923294b4d7).
I don't get it, this is a _p.h file (i.e. no SC/BC guarantees), why not just outline \
the method if you wanted to?

The "TODO: KDE5:" in calendar.h however looks like pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking, \
but maybe the suggestion about merging some virtual methods makes sense, I don't \
know.

--
David Faure, faure@kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5