List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: kio and scheme://
From:       Àlex Fiestas <afiestas () kde ! org>
Date:       2015-02-15 19:00:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 04 November 2014 21:47:36 you wrote:
> On Sunday 02 November 2014 13:43:50 Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> > Hi there
> >
> > There are quite a few places where the following code is found:
> >
> > if (!url.path().endsWith('/')) {
> >
> >     url.setPath(url.path() + '/');
> >
> > }
>
> Right.
>
> > Given an url like: 'scheme://' KUrl will return '/' as path
>
> Wrong.
>
> http://www.davidfaure.fr/2014/kurltest.cpp.diff
>
> KUrl remote2("remote://");
> remote2.path() is empty, not "/".
>
> > while QUrl returns empty string.
>
> Just like KUrl, yes. There is no path in scheme://.
>
> Reminder, it's scheme://optional_hostname/path (where path actually includes
> the leading slash).
>
> > This is making kio add a third slash to the url in many places (because of
> > code like the one pasted before).
>
> Right. Indeed, the above code turns "no path" into path=='/', which is wrong
> they mean different things. The canonical example is ftp://host (on a non-
> anonymous ftp server) which usually redirects to ftp://host/home/user
> > As a result if you open dolphin and type smb://, it will be redirected to
> > smb:///.
>
> I forgot the details of smb urls. I know it's tricky though ;)
> And yeah, a path of '/' sounds wrong.
>
> > Is this an intended behavior or should I start sending patches to prevent
> > this from happening?
>
> Well, this shows that we might need something in QUrl. The repetition of the
> above 3 lines is already bad enough, anything more complex will surely be
> wrong in many cases...
>
> KUrl had AppendTrailingSlash, QUrl is missing that (e.g. in adjusted()).
>
> But wait. We can only append to the path after we already connected
> (to give a chance to ftp://host to redirect to ftp://host/home/user).
> If we start doing any sort of path concatenation at that point, we'll mess
> up. Imagine the complete code was changed to
>  if (!url.path().isEmpty() && !url.path().endsWith('/')) {
>      url.setPath(url.path() + '/');
>  }
>  and that this is followed by
> url.setPath(url.path() + "file");
> then we'll end up with smb://file.
>
> So I guess this is only happening in cases where we want to normalize all
> paths (to end with a slash) before we even call listDir ... so that would be
> in KDirLister::openUrl? With a bit of luck this is basically the only place
> where this logic would be needed? Well, all of KDirLister, since the whole
> point is to be able to rely on the fact that the url to a directory ends
> with a '/', in there. If this is true, then I would suggest a helper
> function in kdirlister.cpp. If more code needs this, please explain, and it
> will be a reason for putting it in QUrl.

I have been taking a look at this today and I have to confess that I am
clueless.

kdirlister does not have any logic regarding paths right now.
KCoreDirLister (which kdirlister inhertis from) does but it is not adding any
slash as far as I could see and on all places at least within openUrl the url
is not modified (aka no extra slash is added).

Also, if you run "dolphin smb://" a weird thing will happen, the widget
showing the url will display "smb:///" while the error message (if any) will
show smb://.

I am going to try to figure out a testcase for this, dolphin is too big for me
to even attempt to solve this bug.

Cheers!