List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Kalzium - names of elements
From:       Claus Christensen <claus_chr () webspeed ! dk>
Date:       2012-02-22 19:34:36

In the explanations of names of the elements, I have come across some =

that appear a bit doubtful - at least they don't agree with my sources. =

Not that my sources are infallible - in fact they often disagree among =

each other - anyway I offer their alternatives here for your consideration.

Hydrogen: the suffix from greek 'genes' (creator) or 'geinomai' (to =

beget) or 'genos' (lineage)

Beryllium: named after the gemstone beryl (the greek name for beryl is =

'berullos')

Nitrogen: 'nitre', a medieval term for salpeter (a distortion of the =

greek 'nitron' meaning soda) + greek 'genes'

Sulfur: latin 'sulpur' perhaps from sanskrit 'shulbari' (enemy of =

cupper) or 'sulber'

Argon: from greek 'argos' (inactive)

Zinc: uncertain. german 'zinke' (something pointed, like a tooth), or =

derived form 'zinn' (tin) or from persian 'seng' (stone)

Selenium: greek 'selene' (moon)

Yttrium: Yttrium, Terbium, Erbium and Ytterbium are all named after =

Ytterby. Gadolinium, however, is named after the finnish kemisk J. Gadolin

Molybdenum: Named after the mineral molybdena, which was often confused =

with graphite and galena (a common lead ore). The greek 'molybdos' means =

lead.

Rhodium: greek 'rhodon' (rose)

Cadmium: Calamine, from greek 'kadmeia' (a mixture of zinc carbonate and =

zinc silicate) is the mineral in which cadmium was discovered.

Antimony: 'antimonium' is a medieval latin word of uncertain origin. =

Apparently there are many inventive suggestions, but no real evidence =

for any of them.

Dysprosium: Greek 'dysprositos' (difficult to reach)

Erbium: (Yttrium is also named after Ytterby)

Ytterbium: Yttrium, Terbium, Erbium and Ytterbium are all named after =

Ytterby. Gadolinium, however, is named after the finnish kemisk J. Gadolin

Hafnium: Copenhagen (or K=F8benhavn in danish :)

Protactinium: Actually it comes after Actinium in the periodic table. =

However it precedes Actinium in a radioactive decay chain.

Nobelium: It is a bit of a stretch to call Nobel a scientist. He was a =

chemist, but worked as an engineer and industrialist.

Much of this was found on Wikipedia (english pages), but I also =

consulted two handbooks on chemical terminology and two books on the =

elements (all four quite recent but in Danish, unfortunately)