List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Question for Kmail developers
From:       Jon Aseltine <aseltine () surveyscience ! net>
Date:       2001-01-29 4:16:35

Michael Häckel wrote:

> If you saw off a branch of a real tree, then the branch also falls to the
> ground and doesn't remain on the tree. I consider that behavior correct. The
> rest of the mails simply doesn't contain the required information any more.
> It seems that Netscape does threading according to the subject and only
> groups the mails together. KMail does threading according to the message id
> and can display the real tree, how the replies belong to each other.

Perhaps the behavior you mentioned is logical, but your perspective is
incorrect. Imagine your point of view is on that branch that is cut off:
once it hits the ground, you have lost all perspective on the rest of
the tree (you may have been looking at other branches nearby to cut off
next). This is analagous to what kmail does when the root of a thread is
deleted: one's point of view is instantly shifted to somewhere
completely different, a very unexpected behavior which violates the
principle of least surprise. I have not seen another email client which
behaves this way, because it is just plain wrong.

Jon