List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Installation Tips
From:       "Bart Szyszka" <bart () gigabee ! com>
Date:       2000-12-20 18:49:12

> But I also agree with some of the other posts - many of the other
> 'helpful' howto's fail by being too terse.  In particular, examples are
> much easier to learn from than principles, which only come as a result
> of practical experience.  Have you thought about making use of hypertext
> links to form expandable footnotes?  Also - much harder, though - it
> might be possible to point out some of the gotchas using the same
> technique.

I've been using Linux for over a year and my biggest roadblock has been
the howtos. By far the best way for someone to tell me how to do something
is to just lay down the steps. When I finally do learn something, I'm often
surprised at how much simpler it would be to have said 1. Do this 2. Then Do
That and 3. Then Finally Do This rather than just writing pages and pages
trying to explain something. And the worse is when people write something
step by step and actually skip steps only to conclude with "I'm sure there
are some things I left out". Huh?!? You can't get from point A to point C if you
skip point B, let alone getting from point A to point Z! Leaving out steps only
because you assume that I would know how to fill in the holes is plain wrong.

- Bart