List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Installation Tips
From:       Bo Thorsen <bo () sonofthor ! dk>
Date:       2000-12-20 8:50:08

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Suzanne Britton wrote:

> Greets all,
>
> I'm putting up some pages on KDE, one of which is a set of tips for
> intalling from source. It's at http://www.igs.net/~tril/kde/tips.html.
> Before I unleash it on the unsuspecting public, does anyone here have
> corrections or suggestions?

This is a very good page for compiling, if you know what you're doing. It
describes very nicely small tweaks to get KDE running faster so if you
have experience with compiling stuff, this should definately give you a
better KDE experience. If you are a newbie and you want to try it out
you'll be scared after seeing this. I know that many will say that newbies
shouldn't be compiling KDE but that's beside the point because some
newbies do want to try it out after having been bit by rpm's enough times.
And you have to start somewhere.

I think it would be a good contribution to do a "newbie compile" section
which basically says that all kde libs can be compiled and installed with
`./configure; make; make install`. If this works for a newbie (s)he might
want to try out the full compile with all the bells and whistles later.
The three configure options are not completely necessary - I know that
without --disable-debug you'll see some stderr messages, but most people
can live with that and it has helped me countless of times when cvs was in
a rather shaky state so I always leave it as is. --with-shadow hasn't been
necessary for me for a very long time on SuSE, Red Hat or Mandrake and
--without-gl does almost nothing. The configure options for Qt are OK
since you really don't want to do without any of them.

At least one simple addition will help readability of you're page: Move
/etc/ld.so.conf editing to the top and don't ask people to run
ldconfig. It isn't necessary.

And one more thing: It doesn't say what to do when you're finished
compiling. I'm not sure though if it makes sense to do a lot about it, I
just thought it's strange to just say how to compile the beast and at the
end claim that people are ready to play.

Bo.

--

     Bo Thorsen                 |   Lahnsgade 31, st.
     Free software developer    |   5000 Odense C