List:       kde-devel
Subject:    text strings, translations for 2.1 question
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-12-19 6:38:25

In the process of fixing bugs and adding features (mostly existing
features which were incomplete or stubbed out) to kiconedit and kpaint,
I would like to add new text strings for menu items and labels.  This
may cause hardships for translators if the translations for these
strings can't be done in time for 2.1.  Therefore, I've decided
tentatively not to add the new text strings, but that means that some
gui features won't have labels.  Their use should be self-evident,
though, in these simple apps.

Specifically, I've changed the "sidebar" in kpaint to a toolbar and
discovered that it is easy add custom widgets to a kde toolbar,
achieving the same functionality as the old sidebar and much more, like
allowing the user to dock the toolbar anywhere.  None of the items in
the old sidebar (the preview widget and the two color widgets) had
labels.  Without labels these items are still usable, but labels
certainly help.  Add labels or not?

Of cource new menu items absolutely require text strings, so perhaps I
should wait until after 2.1 to add these.  Or, how to notify
translators?

Advice needed.

John