List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: paint program
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-12-16 8:07:37

Shawn Gordon wrote:

> At 06:56 AM 12/14/2000, you wrote:
> >Hello
> >
> >I'm thinking about making az Autodesk Animator clone.
> >The AA is my favourite paint program (for 256 color images)
> >Under linux I haven't found anything comparable with it.
> >If you are interested, please tell me your ideas.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Szasz Pal
>
> I was using the version even before AA that was written for the Atari, it
> was a real good 2D cell animation and draw program.  I would think that you
> could use Krayon as your base since it has all the drawing ability, and
> then you would need to add frames and tweening capability to most of the
> tools.  So you could snip a picture from one frame, paste it into another,
> add various distortions to it and have it automatically tween the changes.
>
> I think this would be a really cool project.  If I were you, I would search
> around to see if there is anything already available that has some of the
> animation features implemented and then talk to John Califf about working
> them into Krayon.  Maybe you don't want to use Krayon, but the more pieces
> that you can make use of, the faster/easier your work will go.

Several things.  First, there already is someone deveoping a kde 2 paint
app specifically for game images, probably using indexed images with the
ability to generate templates for animation with sprites.  His name is
Talin, inventor of the famous "Fairy Tale" game for Amiga.  There is a
sourceforge site for the project but I can't remember the name of it.
Look up "talin" or "Talin" on kde-develop mailing lists for leads and
links.

Regarding Krayon, indexed color handling is not coded yet.  Everything
is done in 32 bit or 8 bit gray scale, but we also need indexed,
eventually. Currently krayon converts all 8 bit indexed images to RGB or
RGBA and exorts them back out (if you want to) as 8 bit indexed, but the
color table might change.  We need a translator for color indexes and a
palette dialog, etc., so you get the exact colors you want.  Check out
the app kiconedit in kdegraphics, which I am now maintaining.  It has
the color tables with special handling for kde colors and handles
indexed color well, but also handles RGB and RGBA and grayscale.

If you want to help by implementing indexed colors in Krayon I could use
your help.  Nothing wrong with a separate app if you want to do that,
but we already have 3 paint apps for kde (kiconedit, kpaint and now
krayon) plus Talin's game animation paint app.  Krayon is looking VERY
good now and I'm almost ready to have it compiled by default so it can
be put in the binary koffice packages.  Any work you do on krayon would
get you lots of recognition.

John