List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Current status of MSWord filter etc.
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-12-06 20:20:35

This is the current state of the MSWord filter, and the associated
killustrator filters.

My goal since KDE 2.0 has been to add embedded object support for OLE
streams (e.g. Excel-in-MSWord) and graphics (e.g. clipart-in-MSWord).

1. OLE stream embedding works, except that I don't yet position the
resulting frame correctly. I was hoping to do this by extending the
floating-table logic from 2.0 once the new KWord had materialised.

2. Graphics works as far as the filtering is concerned. By "works" I mean
that the parsing infrastructure is all in place, and that some graphics can
be imported. Since there are many, many possible primitives, only a few are
supported (fully or partially) at present. If I can fix/finish the
primitives that are there, I think a large proportion of drawings will work
reasonably well (volunteers welcome!!!). The fruits of this work depend on
killustrator's support for embedding being rejuvenated, and on the
aforementioned frame support.

3. At present, kword (or killustrator-as-kpart) core dumps on about 20% of
my regression test suite.

4. I have at least three unique core-dumping bugs open against the msword
filter (but I have not checked the bugs list in a while).

5. I recently made some changes to the OLE filter infrastructure to handle
unknown OLE streams...but I have a feeling that was incorrect for
applications other than kword.

Given this, I think it will take between 2 and 4 weeks to have a reasonable
chance of stability (no promises though :-)). While I'm not necessarily
pushing for the beta 1 date to slip just for me, I'd like this to be
factored into the overall 2.1 release plans.

Thanks for listening...and thanks even more if you choose to help with some
of this!

Shaheed