List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CORBA on kde-core-devel
From:       Alex Hayward <alex () hayward ! u-net ! com>
Date:       1999-09-17 22:35:03

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Matthias Elter wrote:

> Am Fre, 17 Sep 1999 schrieb Martin Konold:
> >
> > This is my main concern. Imagin me clicking on a URL and because konquerer
> > thinks it is very intelligent tries to load some alpha quality code in
> > order to display an image or play some unneeded sound. A shlib approach
> > would kill the complete konquerer instead os simply producing a garbage
> > picture or playing unpleasant sound.
>
> That may be true, but what do you suggest? A buggy CORBA component running in a
> seperate process is not much better as you can't try/catch every CORBA call.
> Server dies -> object is nil -> MICO exception -> main app crashes!

I don't see why you can't... You'd check all return codes and make sure
that you carefully parsed the output of a program you'd forked off so why
not be similarly careful when calling external code in a somewhat
different way?

If you are doing something as simple as rendering an image or playing a
sound that can just simply be aborted if things don't work out then you
could at least catch CORBA::SystemException, spit out a diagnostic and
carry on. Couldn't you?