List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CORBA on kde-core-devel
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1999-09-17 15:44:39

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Bavo De Ridder wrote:

> What I suggest to do/use:
>
> Wait with full blown CORBA until KDE 3.
>
> In KDE 2 we would have a component system based on shared libraries.
> If we could make a *very* slim version of corba only used for local calls
> (in-process) use that as well, this would be benificial for non C++
> developers and for reusability of components (we can use IDL instead of
> header files).
>
> If someone could give us a good reason why we should use CORBA ... please
> post it.

Well, I would be happy if someone could explain to me how
different "applications" in KOffice would live together
in one process. An unavoidable restriction of Qt seems to
be that only one QApplication/KApplication can exist at
the same time.

So KWord/KSpread would have to share one KApplication object?
How would that work? Which configuration file does KWord get
when it uses kapp->getConfig()? What does i18n() do? Does
it look up in KWord's translation table when it is called
from KWord and in KSpread's one when it is called from KSpread?
I don't understand it. How can a function know from which
component it was called? Enlighten me please :-)

Bernd.