List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: segfault in kded (HEAD)
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-08-18 21:40:06

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> >> That was the output:
> >>   ASSERT: "u == TC_KService" in kregfactories.cc (203)
> >>   /opt/kde/bin/startkde: line 18: 15320 Segmentation fault  kded
> >>
> >> KDE only starts correctly if I delete my .kde directory.
> >>

> >You can delete ~/.kde/share/config/kregistry only if you want to be not
> >so much destructive. Same problem on my system:
>
> Some problem on about 5 Systems where I tried KDE 2. This is defenitly a known
> and easy reproducable problem. So maybe somebody with the knowledge (Simon,
> Steffen, David, who else?) could look at that?

The problem is in kio. For me kded crashes if it loads a kregistry that
contains bad .desktop files. This somehow happens whenever kded has seen a
bad .desktop file, even if it is corrected afterwards. Try for example to
reinstall kdelibs and kdebase while kded is running. A lot of messageboxes
will pop up and tell that files don't contain a ServiceType= or MimeType=
entry (naturally because kded reads them before they are completely
written to the filesystem). After this happens, the kregistry file is
corrupt.

I'm not sure what to do about it, but the annoying message boxes should at
least go away.

greetings,
--
Steffen Hansen