List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KOFfice ??
From:       Tomas Furmonavicius <f1926 () kaunas ! aiva ! lt>
Date:       1999-07-14 9:24:58

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> I attended a meeting at a local Linux group last night where KOffice was
> demonstrated. Or maybe that's a too positive word, ridiculed is more
> correct.

Who ever claimed, that "KOffice is the latest and greatest _stable_ office
suite for UNIX" ?

It's in alpha state, so crashes are expected and welcome ;-).

> - It bombed out on every occasion. Trying to spell check killed KWord.
> Something else killed KDiagramm

Maybe it crashed because kded doesn't work (at least it doesn't for me).
So trying to activate another service (spellchecker for example) crashes
everything :-( .

> - Comparing KSpread with Gnumerics. How well does the KDE spreadsheet
> stack up against Gnome's?

Never tried Gnumeric. BTW KSpread has various features that aren't available
from menus and toolbars and isn't documented ;-)

It's a pity that KDiagram is still lagging behind other parts of KOffice.

> - The same with the illustrator and drawing tools. How well do they
> stack up against Gimp?

You are comparing oranges and apples. GIMP is for raster graphics, KIllustrator
for vector graphics. You should work a little bit more with both, and you'll see
that KIllustrator can do what GIMP can't and vice versa. These apps serve for
different purposes.

> Can someone describe to me the strong points of KOffice and the
points > where it still lags behind (both against Gnome and against what you'd
> expect from an office suite).

Hmmm ... Lot's of work still has to be done.
Just saying that KOffice is ridiculous is not fair at least.

> I'm not sure what version of Koffice was used. But another problem is
> that I'm not able to run KOffice. I'm using SuSE and installed the
> rpm'ed set from the ftp site, but KOffice complains about missing
> libraries (don't remember; think it's libkio or so).

Sources are your friends ;-)

Tomas