List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Exceptions&KOffice
From:       Tomas Furmonavicius <f1926 () kaunas ! aiva ! lt>
Date:       1999-07-09 18:51:25

Hi,

I played a little with kdelibs/KOffice's compilation .

I compiled with exception handling enabled only those files, which really
needed (mostly files generated from idls) it, all others I compiled with
"fno-exceptions" flag. The result is: KOffice works as good
(or as bad ;-)) as compiled with exceptions enabled everywhere (at least I
didn't notice the difference). Memory usage is smaller (I don't have exact
figures, sorry), not to talk about size of libraries and binaries. For example
KWord "lost" ~0.5MB (was ~1.6MB, now ~1.1MB), KPresenter lost ~0.6MB and so on
(platform AMD K6, Linux). Now KOffice's programs loads as fast as MSOffice's,
only *bars are still flickering :-)

Is it a dangerous way to reduce memory usage, or not? MICO as far as I
understand is also compiled this way (with exceptions enabled only where they
are needed).  On the other hand, KDE 1.x was compiled with exception handling
enabled by default, making it almost unusable wih 32MB of RAM and less.

From my experience disabling exception handling where it's not needed doesn't
hurt ;-) . Combined with tinyMICO it could give a more lightweight solution.

Tomas