List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Application Server, take two
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-06-17 12:20:35

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Gabor Szentivanyi wrote:
> > This circumstances would make seamless interoperation pretty
> > difficult if not impossible. When are a relatively stable set of IDLs and
> > language mappings to be expected?
>
> I am sure the koffice people can comment better on this (Hi Reggie!) but
> for what's worth:
>
> * The IDL's are relatively stable, they might change over time a bit but
> not drammatically.

And if more people are known to rely on them every future change would
be discussed between the parties involved.

> * The language mapping is currently under discussion as it seems that we
> can reduce a lot of the bloat by making a KDE/Qt/C++ mapping which fits
> much more nicely to KDE than the current C++ mapping.

One proposal (or better an invitation) from me: if you guys already know
how to program CORBA you could participate in these efforts. If you
aren't experienced with it too much this would be a great opportunity to
learn. You wouldn't only get your stable interfaces earlier - you would
even have influence on how they will look like.

Harri.