List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A note to exceptions && some notes to codesize
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-06-16 23:24:34

On 16-Jun-99 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> Miguel the Big Mouth : 'KDE ... uses up too much memory' ; me : 'when I last
> tried Gnome it used even more'  :-> ).

Neither KDE nor GNOME use much memory really. About 6M for 1.1 I calculated,
and extra apps are using the same libs, so no extra.

I did some counting of just-started KDE 1.1 and GNOME 1.0.2 sessions. I found
approximately 1M difference. However, as GNOME doesn't include a kfm-like web
browser, I think this is worth it !

Don't ask me to produce the figures. I spent half an hour with a calculator and
didn't log what I was doing, but it's true they use a very similar amount of
memory.

Cheers,
Rik

p.s. I also noticed GNOME had become very much like KDE, except that E crashed
my X server, and there was no help :( Apart from that, I can't really see why
GNOME is superior in any way. Don't believe the hype !

p.p.s. I'm not a GNOME hater. I like it. It's quite like KDE, but prettier due
to its themes. It's not faster or smaller or stable though.

--
KDE - Colour outside the lines  : http://www.kde.org
[[without]] - software for KDE  : http://without.netpedia.net