List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A note to exceptions && some notes to codesize
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-06-11 8:53:28

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Mario Weilguni wrote:
>
> > * the exception tables are quite big, and there are tons of _throw()
> > calls that are never used (Qt uses no exceptions, and the KDE core
> > classes don't use them as well). I see no reason having the libraries
> > bloated with this exception code if it is unused. Why not enable
> > exception for libraries that use them, and disable for all other
> > libraries? I don't think that is a problem.
>
> Because if some program (such as kSirc or konqueror, or anything using
> mico) needs to catch an exception, it's prudent to have the exception
> "bloat" in the library.

Yes and no. Only if the library is part of the call-stack between throwing
and catching the exception. Show me code where that happens.

ksirc uses exceptions, but as far as I could understand, all exceptions
where thrown between ksirc modules themselves only
(Apart from that, it looks like just returning return-values would work
in the case of ksirc just as well as using exceptions)

Currently exception handling in kdelibs just adds bloat and kills cache
performance without adding anything substantial. It's not worth it.

> However, you'll also gain a decent savings by
> disabling exception handling in applications that don't use exceptions.

We should at least start with that then.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
KDE, A New Millenium, A New Desktop                      http://www.kde.org