List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: tcsh and KDE?
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-06-04 0:46:21

Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > 1) The path doesn't seem to get properly propagated.. even when the said
> > path is specified in the user's .tcshrc
>
> use ~/.profile instead. Put both supplemented $PATH and $KDEDIR inthere
> (maybe $QTDIR and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, depends on what you're doing).
>
> However, for whatever reason, this didn't work for me. So, the solution I
> found was to put these variables both in ~/.(t)cshrc and ~/.bashrc
>
> The situation is this because (I think, I didn't check!!!) KProcess and
> some other ( system(1) ) are using /bin/sh as the shell of choice (even if
> it shouldn't).

Hrm.. not our systems at work.  It is definitely using tcsh as the shell
to spawn KProcess processes (as is evidence by the second problem I had).

I'll see about putting the path in .profile, though

> >    For instance, the only apps that popup on initial startup are those
> >    explicitely specified in 'startkde'.   All session-managed controls
>
> when started at a prompt, 'startkde' will inherit the envir of the shell.
> Try to start it from .xinitrc or .xsession (which are, by default, ran
> through /bin/sh and are overridings for a console login) and you'll see
> the errors.

Well, I am seeing the errors in the xterm.  I also tried this setup with
VNC where I start my own server and ran into the exact same problems.

> I think this can be considered a bug (it is impossible to start KDE
> without a largely skewed/configured system, a configured shell isn't
> enough) but I don't know how this could be solved. I think all system
> calls in KDE libs should be passed through user's shell (the one listed in
> /etc/passwd)

The system calls ARE being passed through the user's shell in this case...

Very very weird.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth