List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: LIB_KFM
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-06-03 16:58:22

Sven Radej wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jun 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> (...)
> >This explain the memory consumption of kpanel I guess ;)
> Hm?
> >BTW: wasn't it planned to share the data between kpanel, kdesktop and
> >konqueror?
> Well it was my idea - either that or to have daemon which holds whole
> database and serves requests for bindings, icons, ...
> Shared memory was off, since it is complicated, non-standard, etc.
> However, may I remind everyone to check about that portable shared memory lib
> made for Apache?

Shared memory for this purpose need not be complicated -- it can be a shared
binary file, really.  One kdelib class to access it, to which everyone links;
the file contents are (essentially) an array of the data class.  You do need to
worry about locking during updates, but I think this is an easier problem than
shared memory (in the worst case where the kernel does not support locked files
you just create a new file and move it into place when done, which works as long
as the clients reopen file descriptors for each access).  Because of UNIX file
caching this should generally be as fast as shared memory anyway.

Regards,

Andreas Pour