List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RfD: KDE Special Interest Groups
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-06-02 11:13:35

On Wed, 02 Jun 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:
>> What do you think? Would forming SIG's make life easier for
>> us, or would it just add more overhead? Please follow up with
>> any suggestions you have.
>
>I'm afraid these SIGs will not be maintained very well.
>
>My wife is subscribed to mailinglists where they have various
>topics. You can then subscribe to one, more or all topics.
>The topic is prepended to the subject of each message.
>
>Perhaps ppl with little time can then throw away some topics
>
>The problem is to find suitable topics. Are there broad
>categories to distinguish looking at the archive?

I think that it would help a lot if people take care of subjects.
Subject must be clear; Not like "Big problem" but "Big problem in
kdeui/toolbars"; and even more important when discussion drifts away from
kdeui/toolbars to question do-turtles-think-and-if-yes-what-do-they-think-of-KDE
then change the subject to "Do turtles think? (was: Big problem in
kdeui/toolbars)"

Choosing a suitable and informative Subject line can help you to simply ignore
messages which talk about something you don't work at/understand/care.

Also it is important to - if needed - inform wider audience about possible
global impact in discussion. Example:
Thread started as "Big problems in kdeui/toolbars" drifted away to "Do turtles
think", and all participants of that thread agreed that it is necessary to use
Automake-3463.345 (because of turtles, of course). Then it is needed
why, and where (in mail archives) can one find the discussion thread.

No need for special software (except in one's  head).
  --
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org