List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KStandardDirs
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-30 21:24:48

Hi !

I am just trying to switch from the KApp::*_dir() methods to
KStandardDirs. In some cases the transition is easy (and makes sense) in
others it won't be trivial. To make things a more convenient for
programmers I would like to propose two extensions:

o how about adding a type like "appdata" that would have a relative path
"share/apps/${application name}/" ?

o a QString findResourceDir( const QString& type, const QString&
relative ) method ?

I found that need when trying to convert the following line:

 QDir d(kapp->kde_datadir() + "/kppp/Provider/");

The application name would already be covered by the first proposal, of
course.

All in all I expect that KStandardDirs will allow a great deal of
flexibility (fs standard- and multiple-configuration-wise). But I guess
that there will be a few occasions when the programmer may want to
explicitly demand a system or local location. Especially concerning
_writing_ to files. Oh well. Let's see. We'll find a solution :)

Harri.