List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: HELP! cvs server: sticky tag `HEAD' for file `pipes.cpp'is not a branch
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-30 10:22:38

Dirk A. Mueller wrote:

> Harri Porten <porten@tu-harburg.de> wrote:
>
> > An example of "-r HEAD" usage: "cvs diff -r HEAD" gives you the
> > between your local data and the CURRENT CVS,
>
> I don't believe this is correct. The branch named "HEAD" simply does
> not exist, so you cannot refer to it.

You are right saying that there is no branched that carries a tag called
"HEAD". However, cvs will interpret HEAD as the current CVS.

> cvs diff always compares to the sticky tags/dates etc. that are
> currently set on your local files. you can see them by doing
> "cvs status". (none) everywhere means most current CVS.

I was pretty sure that I saw the use of "-r HEAD" somewhere and did
re-find indeed. An excerpt from /usr/doc/cvs-1.10.2/FAQ.gz:

  To display the difference between your working file and the latest
  revision committed to your current branch, type:

                  cvs diff -r HEAD <file>

Harri.