List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: --enable-final again
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-05-28 23:28:24

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Mario Weilguni wrote:

> The code is tighter packed (aligned) due to some compiler flags,
> making execution slower on 486er systems (who really uses a 486er and
> KDE?), and some other optimizations (-fno-exceptions). When I said the
> library is smaller I of course meant code, no symbols or such, because
> I stripped the libraries to check this.

IIRC, some AMD and Cyrix chips execute code optimized for 486 class
machines faster.  And for that matter, the Intel P6 class CPUs tend to run
much better with less gcc induced optimization (I.E. -O6 and -mpentiumpro
are pessimizations for me).

> And why does everbody emphasize speed? Speed is mostly a null-issue
> for GUI-stuff, and most of the speed of kde-programs is limited by
> disk access and of course the user - you can't type faster because
> code is optimized for a P-II.

B/C if your program takes forever to load, it's regarded as sucking.  If a
simple operation takes forever to complete, that sucks too.

- alex

My baby grows up in a brand new Cadillac
She yeah come here daddy, I ain't never commin back
 - The Clash