List:       kde-devel
Subject:    --enable-final again
From:       Mario Weilguni <mweilguni () sime ! com>
Date:       1999-05-27 16:46:14

I did some testing with and without --enable-final, and I must say on Intel
machines it's definitly not worth the efforts:

libkdecore.so.3.0.0:
--enable-final, CXXFLAGS=-Os -malign-functions=2 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -fno-exceptions
SIZE=570372

without --enable-final, CXXFLAGS as above
SIZE=584078

Considering all the troubles you get from --enable-final (huge memory usage,
C++ vs C hassle, include file dependencies e.g. those stupid X11 headers...)
it's not worth 14 kb. I'm sure there are better ways to reduce the memory
footprint.

Mario

PS: when I talk of --enable-final here I of course mean the
compile-everything-in-one-file trick, not the other things this might do. And
maybe it makes a difference on non-Intel platforms, I can't check this.

 --
/earth is 98% full ... please delete anyone you can.