List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Are we connected ? - Solution-idea more info (2)
From:       Bjoern Kahl <Bjoern.Kahl () kiel ! netsurf ! de>
Date:       1999-05-15 12:08:45

 Note: This is a resend, first try don't appear at the list after more
       than 14 hour.

On 14-May-99 Bjoern Kahl wrote:

>   Hallo !
>
>   I am working some time now on a way to manage Networkconnections to
>   the internet, including a way to query the connection-state.

 Hallo !

 I think, some more info is better.

 It work by having a little daemon running.
 Each Programm "Client" (in my case: shell-scripts) that need
 Networkaccess  register itself (using a small C-Programm) to the daemon,
 the daemon  creates an connection to the Network (using system-provided
 script, on  SuSE-Linux /etc/suseppp/scripts/ppp-up, this is
 configurable) and notify the Client about the link-state.

 Of course, a lot of different Programms can register at the same time.
 The connection is up, as long as one Client is registered.

 (The advantage compared to dial on demand is, the link is only created,
 if there is a Client that want to use to link, not if anything else trys
 to send a packet (like DNS-querys)).

 Clients are separated in two Groups:
 - Request, made by a user-programm
   The Programm register it self, and unregister when done
 - request comming from the system, that is, Programm that are liste in
   a configfile.
   - marked as "system-job" (like Mail or Newstransfer in the early
     morning, or when evver it is cheap to call the net).
   - otherjobs, belonging to a single User
   Such a Request starts, when the daemon starts a Programm listet in
   the configfile, and ends, when the new created process returns.
   I use this kind of Client for Mail and Newstransfer in the morning.

 There is also a GUI-FrontEnd, written in TCL/TK. A User can see in
 this, if the connection is up, and which Programm have registered,
 using his UID. He can cancel all or some of his Networkrequest by a
 mouse-click, or start some predefined Jobs by a Mouseclick (from the
 configfile, I told about in the last paragraph). Also the user can
 see how much time he has used the Network (As I started the work, I
 planed to do a per-user-accounting of Networkusage,  to be able to
 split telephon-costs to the users - I droped that plan  later, but some
 funktion to do some accounting is still there).

 maybe, some thing is usefull for you.

           Bjoern