List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory consumption in KDE 2.0
From:       Sean Kendall Schneyer <Sean.Schneyer () kau ! se>
Date:       1999-05-04 14:52:04

Leon Widdershoven wrote:

> Sean Kendall Schneyer wrote:
> >
> > I've been runing the KDE 2 desktop exclusively for about
> > a week now... granted I haven't updated my source in the
> > past few days so things might be broken at this point.
> >
> > // Sean
>
> What kind of system do you have? (amount of memory), and how
> long does starting kde2 up take?
>
> Leon

I'm running on a Intel based Dell machine, Pentium II 266 (I think).
160 Megs ram. RedHat 5.2 with 2.2.5 kernel. I can't say exactly
how long it takes to start up, but it is quite a bit longer than
KDE 1, especially to get the panel up and running. But I also have
to consider the fact that I have debugging turned on in all the libraries
and all the apps. Once I get it all loaded up I don't experience
any serious performance hits.

I must admit that I'm not using very many actual KDE apps at the moment.
Konqy dies on my constantly. The colors screw up on kscd, and kvt freaked
out on me once today. Also, trying to delete anything from the panel
crashes the panel. Trying to add a new application to the desktop
causes some really really bad results. And the minicli isn't
working anymore...

All in all I'm actually quite happy with the progress that has been
made. As long as I can keep running the KDE 2 desktop I don't plan
on turning back. I figure that the more people that use it the quicker
the development will go :o)

Hope this information helps you out.

// Sean