List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory consumption in KDE 2.0
From:       Mario Weilguni <mweilguni () sime ! com>
Date:       1999-05-04 13:01:23

Am Tue, 04 May 1999 schrieb Martin Konold:
>On Mon, 3 May 1999, Christian Esken wrote:
>
>> True is, the memory still has to be managed, the process data will
>> still be there, hogging memory and filling page tables, And the starting
>> of the screensaver takes time on KDE startup, and so on and so on.
>
>Ok, especially the improoved startup time of KDE convinced me.

Yup, it has to be worked on startup time, it takes still too long.

I'm currently investigating memory usage in the base classes, currently
kapplication. What I found so far:

* QDictionaries for dozens of items is a real waste of space, probably because
of memory fragmentation. I found this in KCharsetsData. It allocates 33 (on my
system) KCharsetEntry (each 24 byte), makes ~700 bytes of data, but uses ~5000
bytes in reality. These entries are inserted into 2 dictionaries, taking ~10500
bytes. So, I think around 10kb are wasted here. Ok, not much, but every KDE
desktop has around 10-15 running KDE applications, resulting in 150 kilobytes
of space wasted only for this.

* for many small items it can be better to overload new and delete and use
arrays or something like this. There are quite some C++ libraries that exactly
support this (Memory pools).

* for Qt-2, the panel consumes a lot of memory, ~1.1MB of data on my system.
The old panel used much less data, ~600KB

Mario

--
"Have you lived here all your life?"
"Oh, twice that long."