List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory consumption in KDE 2.0
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-04 6:30:35

On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 09:45:57PM +0200, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> Am Mon, 03 May 1999 schrieb Dirk A. Mueller:
> >Stephan Kulow <coolo@itm.mu-luebeck.de> wrote:
> >
> >> the screensaver is activated by a signal. But we agree that it
> >> shouldn't be in memory as long as no screensaver is active, but only a
> >> very small wrapper.
> >
> >before adding a new wrapper, couldn't some "core" component like
> >kbgndwm take over that job ?
>
> Yes, please. Every K-Application uses ~280KB of data, so we should avoid
> splitting into too much applications.
>
> BTW, I found out that each KApplication uses 56KB of data ONLY for KCharSets.
> Check this:
> before new KCharSets: data=220, stk=24, exe=84, lib=5184,rss=3332
> after new KCharSets: data=276, stk=24, exe=84, lib=5184, rss=3456

oh.
Well, the plan is : to get rid of kcharsets anyway.
It's made obsolete by qt 2.

But it seems that as the author of kcharsets isn't there anymore, nobody
dares to wipe it out and to have a look at how we can do the same in qt.
Or am I wrong ? Anybody would do that ? Volunteers ! :)

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org